The Radicati Group reported that 1.9 billion non-spam emails are sent everyday. With your email being one of 1.9 billion, how is your Brand going to stand out amongst the crowd? What will make your audience notice your emails? And, what will encourage them to actually read it?
To break through the noise, you must develop a compelling email subject line that inspires your audience to open and read your email. If you don’t capture your target’s attention in the subject line, they are never going to see any of the other parts of your five-star email strategy. Get noticed from the beginning and write a subject line that grabs your audience’s attention and compels them to click on your email.
How to Write Attention-Grabbing Email Subject Lines
- Address your reader’s concerns: The key to generating click-throughs is answering questions that your prospects care about. Here is an example by eyewear provider, Warby Parker: “Uh-oh, your prescription is expiring.”
- Be explicit: Clearly spell out what your email contains so the reader understands exactly what they are getting when they open your email.
- Use actionable language: Your subject lines should contain action verbs that will instill urgency and excitement in your audience and inspire them to immediately click on your email. JetBlue example: “You’re missing out on points.”
- Scan your subject lines for clarity: A clear, easily understood subject line is vital to generate email click-throughs. Your emails should grab attention, but not at the expense of clearly conveying your content.
- Be concise: Use subject lines that are fewer than 50 characters. This ensures that they wont get cut off and that viewers will read the entire subject line.
- Personalize: Marketing research suggests that adding the receiver’s name in the subject line significantly increases click-through rates. Example by Rent the Runway: “Happy Birthday Lindsay – Surprise Inside!”
- Be consistent: Your email subject line makes a promise to your reader about what you will deliver in your message. Follow through on your commitment so they don’t think you have cheated them, which may cause them to stop opening your emails.
- Avoid spam triggers: Email spammers rely heavily on certain words to boost their open rates. Conduct background research to make sure the words you use in your subject line don’t cause your email to end up in the spam folder. Some common spam triggers are:
Email is an important part of a successful inbound marketing program. And your subject line is an important component to your email marketing campaigns. Don’t get lost in the noise of the email world. Write attention-grabbing subject lines that will increase your email’s open rate.
Learn to create emails that attract your readers with our eBook, Anatomy of a Five-Star Email. We walk you through the 12 essential steps to a well-performing email to help you create and implement a successful email strategy.
Grab your readers’ attention with your next subject line. Let’s touch base and I will put the Hult Team's experience to work for you. We can connect at 309-673-8191 or email@example.com, and together, we can create a better focus on your Brand.