Consumers have a choice. Right now, your organization is just one of their many options. No matter how perfect you know you may be for them, they may not be able to recognize your value through all the marketing and promotional efforts of every other organization. So, what will make them choose you?
Your Brand is the essence of who you are, and it is what distinguishes you from your competition. Brand Development is the discovery process we go through together to unearth your organization’s Claim of Distinction, and the master plan for how that differentiation will be communicated. Building your Brand Distinction is a key component to discovering who you are. It’s something you must know before consumers ever will.
There are 5 steps to the Brand Development process. When you execute these 5 steps, you will begin to build distinction amongst consumers and enhance your Brand experience.
5 Steps to Building Your Brand Distinction
- Start With Why: Your organization’s unique “why” is the reason you do what you do. It’s the emotion behind your Brand. When you build your Brand from the inside out, you start by determining why you do what you do, followed by what you do and how you do it. This will transform the way you view your Brand and will build distinction amongst your consumers.
- Identify Your Claim of Distinction: Your Claim of Distinction is the combination of tangible and intangible characteristics that make your Brand unique. It’s what consumers think and feel when they interact with your Brand. It’s you—not just your logo. Your distinction will only be useful if you back it by Evidence of Performance, though. That means actually being what you claim to be by living it out every day and clearly communicating it to consumers. When this happens, you build trust with consumers and they perceive your Brand in a positive way.
- Identify Your Touchpoints: Your Brand touches customers in a plethora of places in the “before purchase,” “during purchase” and “after purchase” experience. Customers are not only influenced by your Brand, but through means that are sometimes out of your Brand’s control. Take a moment to reflect on every place your Brand touches your customers. The ability to identify all of your customer touchpoints will allow you to present your Brand and what it stands for at every possible opportunity.
- Align Your Business, Brand and People Strategies: Focus inward and make sure you align your Business Strategy with your Brand Strategy and your People Strategy. What does this mean? Make sure the staff at every level of your organization knows and understands your Claim of Distinction and your unique why. When your organization’s culture can back up the value you are communicating on a day-to-day basis, it provides evidence to the customers and builds trust—leading to Brand loyalty.
- Communicate Through Your Brand Lens: Your Brand should be consistent. View every form of communication through your Brand Lens to make sure it is communicating a clear message of who you are, what you believe in and what makes you distinct. A Brand Lens provides parameters for all Brand touchpoints to ensure that they focus and magnify the Brand’s Claim of Distinction. The Brand Lens is effective because it achieves several Brand-building tasks at once:
- Building capital over time
- Unifying your team with a common culture
- Enabling your Brand to compete on value
Building your Brand distinction is important to understanding who you are, what you do differently, why you do what you do, and what you are capable of becoming. Once your organization can encompass the value in your distinction, it will transform the way you and your staff at every level view your Brand. Learn more about our Brand Development process in our eBook, Empowering Your Brand Distinction. We dive deep into these 5 concepts to help you get a better sense of your unique Brand distinction.
Build your Brand distinction and become consumers’ first choice. Let’s touch base and I will put the Hult Team's experience to work for you. We can connect at 309-673-8191 or email@example.com, and together, we can create a better focus on your Brand.